If sleeping in a vineyard (no not literally under the leaves but in a posh bed) is your idea of nirvana – a few tipples with dinner gazing over the rows of grapes as the sun sets before slipping away to luxurious accomodation, not a car in sight – then you’ll love this list of Australia’s Top 10 vineyards thanks to Visitvineyards.com
1. Moorilla Chalets – Tasmania Four self-contained architect-designed pavilions perch high above the river Derwent, with panoramic views across the estuary to Hobart. Each has a private cellar featuring over 60 Moorilla wines, and a spa with stunning river views, where you can even bathe in milk … or wine.
2. Lindenderry – Mornington Peninsula Luxurious and secluded – a favourite for weddings, and a rival New Zealand’s top lodges. They do small and intimate well. Make sure you book yourself something luxurious at the Endota Spa.
3. Crittendens – Mornington Peninsula This vineyard has almost cult status on the Mornington Peninsula. The lakeside villas are only 2 years old and are a glorious place to rest after divine dining at the Stillwater restaurant.
4. Chateau Yering – Yarra Valley A sweeping driveway takes you to the beautifully restored Chateau Yering and Eleonore’s fine dining room is worth a visit on its own. Luxurious accommodation right next door to Yering Station.
5. Tower Lodge – Hunter Valley Winner of Tourism NSW’s best luxury getaway, Tower Lodge has some impressive facilities including a walking track, heated pool, sauna, gym, massage treatment room and library. The elegant dining room is for the exclusive use of guests, and nearby is the award-winning Robert’s Restaurant.
6. Balgownie Estate Vineyard – Yarra Valley Amazing views across the valley and access to amazing wines from Balgownie’s Yarra Valley and Bendigo estates. This is so luxurious you’ll never want to leave.
7. Warrenmang Vineyard – Pyrenees, Victoria Owners Luigi and Athalie Bazzani are dedicated to making this 250-acre estate, the #1 Australian tourist destination for lovers of wine, food and nature. With views across vines to the purple Pyrenees mountains and kangaroos at dusk they’ve succeeded in building their dream.
8. Immerse – Yarra Valley Pleasure, relaxation, calm. The luxury guesthouse and the Lake cottage survived the Black Saturday fires, but sadly the Lodge accommodation and Garden Cottage were destroyed. Beautiful views over the vineyard and valley remain intact, along with a genuinely divine spa and restaurant.
9. Wise Wines – Margaret River Hide away in a rustic bush chalet, with views to the ocean and 20 minutes walk through state forest to Meelup Beach and a short stroll to the Wise Vineyard Restaurant.
10. Blackwood Park Country House, Mitchelton Vineyard – Goulburn Valley A great escape from busy Melbourne, this beautiful country home sleeps 3 couples comfortably with access to gardens and the Mitchelton Vineyards.