If you’re planning a trip to Las Vegas any time soon, here’s my top 5 picks of must-dos!
1. Attend at least one of the 8 permanent Cirque du Soliel shows – Mystere is the original show and one of my faves of all time. I also loved O where the stage turns into a swimming pool (this pic is an O outfit), and Ka where the stage lifts up and becomes vertical so the acrobats are left somersaulting all over it. But the latest is MJ One. The new Michael Jackson show and it’s ah-mazing!
2. Not for the PC brigade, but especially if you’re going on a boys’ trip, head to the Gun Store on Tropicana and fire a machine gun at posters of terrorists. (I chose Osama bin Laden). It’s as easy as using a hairdryer but bloody loud!
3. Order a bottle of New Zealand wine from the four-story wine rack at Aureole Bar at Mandalay Bay and watch the waiter (actually tiny little acrobatic waitress) abseil up to get it, aka Catherine Zeta-Jones in Entrapment.
4. Gatecrash an Elvis wedding. Graceland Wedding Chapel would be my pick, the Elvis here is the best likeness you’ll find. And take note of the vows: I take you to be my hunka hunka burnin love and promise never to step on your blue suede shoes… I kid you not. If you want to get married here yourself, you’ll have a half hour slot and pay about $300.
5. Take the Deuce bus to old Las Vegas to the Fremont Street Experience. This is where all the original casinos are. It’s a step back into the days of Bugsy Malone and gangsters, except for the free laser light show on the 3-block long roof which sees everyone standing stock still and gazing upward on the hour.