Have you heard about the traveller bitten by an angry goat in Africa?
Or the lady who had her handbag stolen by a monkey in India?
These are a couple of the stranger claims that 1 Cover Travel Insurance has paid out on, and I’d certainly take out insurance for India and Africa. But what about a weekend in Sydney or a week in Fiji, do you buy travel insurance for that?
It’s so easy to just risk it, right? But what if your luggage goes missing or you are rushed to hospital, or you have to return home early for an emergency?
Or what if you do what my husband did a week before our houseboat holiday on the Murray River and break your leg requiring surgery?? (Ah, yes, I left him at home with his mum!) That’s an easy mistake to make, assume we need travel insurance only to cover us while we’re away, not to also provide a refund if we can’t actually travel at all!
I’m one of those people who is insured to the hilt. Home, contents, car, medical, my husband’s life (!) – and because I travel a lot, I have an annual travel insurance policy that I only need to think about renewing once a year.
I used to use the Gold Global Plus credit card insurance and in the past I’ve successfully claimed for a camera (that I dropped down the toilet in Thailand), but if I was going on a big trip, I’d want to double check how much medical and lost luggage insurance I had before I relied solely on it.
My annual policy is around $350 per year, which works out at about $30 per month. It covers me all over the world and will pay out huge sums for medical, evacuation, loss, etc, should I need it. I’m a fan. In fact such a fan, I asked them if I could sell it. Yes I’m just like the Remington Razor Blade guy!
So, if you’d like a free quote on insurance for your next trip, or to look into an annual policy (great for anyone who travels more than 3 times a year), click here to 1 Cover and see what they can offer.
Here are some of the weirder claims they’ve paid out on:
• Mugged by a monkey in India. Bag stolen with cash, passports etc – AGA assisted with obtaining a new passport in Delhi. The customer was also able to claim for the stolen items. $700
• Bitten by an angry goat in Africa. The Insured was taken to hospital to dress the wound. $400
• Customer goes on a short holiday to Australia and their bag goes to London. Twice! The Insured was able to claim for essential items of new clothing and personal items, while their bags returned from their own holiday. $500
• House burnt down while on holiday. Claim for additional travel arrangements as they return home early. $6,000
• A seasick customer loses dentures overboard. The customer claims for new dentures at $600
* Disclaimer: I am an affiliate of 1 Cover Travel. But I’m a fan of all travel insurance, so look around and make sure you get the best deal. This link will let you get a free quote, so you can start your research.