Who knew there was more to see in Anaheim than Mickey Mouse? I know, I’m as surprised as you!
Actually I’m not really because I’ve stayed here a few times now and while I’ll always make sure Disneyland is where I spend at least 1 day, there is a lot more going on in this part of Orange County than you might have imagined.
Here are 6 reasons to visit Anaheim:
1. Disneyland (of course). And don’t forget it’s actually 2 parks including the newly transformed California Adventure. If you can, stay at one of the 3 Disneyland hotels for easy access to the park. In fact if you stay at the Grand California Adventure you’ll be able to walk from your hotel straight onto a ride.
2. Knott’s Berry Farm. This might sound like a cutesy theme park having propagated the boysenberry and originally selling jams in 1920. But no, Knott’s has some of the scariest rides I’ve ever seen!
3. Shopping! The Citadel Outlets are a must for bargain shopping, about 25 minutes from Disneyland. So many stores you’ll want a whole day here. Anaheim Garden Walk has a few shops, not many. Anaheim Plaza has a big Forever 21 outlet for you young things.
4. Sports! I went to an Anaheim Angels baseball game last time I visited and LOVED belting out the national anthem at the top of my lungs then settling in with a hot dog and a beer to get amongst it. The Ducks and Bolts also call Anaheim home.
5. Catalina Island is a great day trip. The town of Avalon is 1 sq mile and people walk or hire a golf cart or bicycle to get around and explore. There is stunning swimming, fishing, hiking, cycling, shopping, events…
6. Golf. Orange County has more than 40 championship golf courses, a couple are in Anaheim, but all are very close.